Monday, October 25, 2010

First field trip

A couple of weeks ago, Max had his first field trip. I was able to attend and hope I can make it to all of them! Rex said I should let him go by himself but as long as Max wants me there, I will be there!! We went to Guthrie's Pumpkin Farm in Riceville, TN. We had been there before as a family the first year Wes was born so it wasn't a brand new experience for Max but he was excited just the same. I think he was most excited about riding the bus because that is all he's wanted to do since the first day of school.  Parents had to drive seperately and I was running late and needed gas so I didn't follow the bus as I had planned to.

We arrived and the bus load of children started piling out. Our group got to do the hay ride and pumpkin patch first. I love being able to see the interaction of Max with his classmates outside the classroom. When I volunteer it's always during classtime so there is a different dynamic than the carefree time on the field. We unloaded in the pumpkin patch and the hunt began. Max wanted to find the biggest pumpkin. We ended up almost at the very end of the patch looking for the biggest pumpkin! Of course, if mom wasn't there he wouldn't have been able to lug his huge pumpkin all the way back to the wagon! I got tickled because Max was searching for the biggest one and several girls were just as far out as us searching for the smallest pumpkins.


On the hay wagon ride to the pumpkin patch


Searching for that big pumpkin


still searching


a group of girls looking for baby pumpkins


Max and his prize pumpkin!


After picking our pumpkins we headed over to the petting zoo. The children were able to pet several animals and they all got a turn feeding a baby calf. Thankfully, a few of us had some change for the animal feed so they were able to feed the goats, too.


listening to instructions before entering the petting zoo


It's a calf!


Max should be an old pro at this!


Feeding the goats


Mrs. Baker, Max's teacher


The children did a small maze after seeing the animals. There were signs along the way with instructions for them to follow and at the end they each were able to ring a bell.





We finished with a movie about how pumpkins are grown, a class photo and lunch in the picnic area. The kids were able to leave with their parents after the field trip but Max kept saying he wanted to ride the bus back to school. He changed his mind at the last minute so we headed home. It was a fun outing and the kids did a great job!



Max and his classmates. It's hard to get a really good pic of 18 Kindergarteners!


My sweet boy and me!


No comments: