Sunday, November 15, 2009

No! Not yet!

Max has his first official crush. A few weeks ago Max told me on the way home from church, "Mom, I have a secret." "What is it?", I asked. "I have a crush on K (I am choosing to leave her anonymous)."

At first, I thought it was very sweet and he probably really didn't get what he was saying. Well, the next week he spent the night with my parents and he told my mom, "Nana's I am crushing on K real bad." I asked him what it meant and he said, "It means I like her." Um, yes, he does get it. Sigh.

She is a very sweet and pretty girl but she is also 5 years older than he is. LOL! I am trying to make the focus on her being pretty on the inside even though she is pretty on the outside. Mainly, because my first response was well, at least she is pretty. Why do we focus so much on outside looks without even thinking about it? Wow! Did that wake me up on what I want to teach him about how to treat girls.

All week last week he asked me if I knew K's mom's phone number. I told him I did but we are not calling K. He asked over and over again. He would ask, "I wonder what K is doing right now?, Is K at school right now?, Is K at home now?" I refuse to let him call her. He is only five and we are not starting that right now!!!!

Oh, where is my little baby that I would nurse to sleep every night? Where is my sweet boy I could hold in my lap and carry around? Where is that baby face I loved so much? Where did all this big boys stuff come from? I know it's a part of life but I don't think I'm quite ready for this yet!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

yikes!!!! NO push the pause button, b/c that is a long path of heart ache.

Alicia said...

These first little crushes are cute, yet have we got our work cut out as we raise our children. I have a friend at church who is also seeking to teach her almost 5-year-old son how to treat girls b/c he likes girls A LOT. Your husband can be a great teacher to Max in this area.