Thursday, February 26, 2009

Poor sick baby

My little Wesley has been sick for a month now. He has had a runny nose, cough, and congestion but Tuesday he woke up hoarse and continued to get worse as the day went on. He had already been on Singular, Allegra, and Zyrtec to no avail. He has been running a low grade 99 temp off and on the whole month but Monday night and Tuesday morning it got to 101. Since his fever elevated the doctor wanted to see him in the office. Off we go at 2:30 to the doctor's office for the 4th time this month. This was not in my plans since I was having a Pampered Chef party at my house that night.
Thankfully, Dr. Spraggins came in pretty soon after we got there. She said she didn't want to make us wait the rest of the day for Wesley to be seen. He coughed several times while she was there and she got to hear how raspy his voice was. Diagnosis: Croup! They gave him an oral steroid in the office and put him on his first antibiotic.
He is so pitiful. This morning he could barely even cry or make any noise at all. He has gotten a little bit of his voice back but he is still very hoarse. He was up crying and only slept for 4 to 5 hours a night Saturday to Wednesday. Thankfully, last night he slept all night. Boy did we both need it.
I of course now have gotten sick. I think it's mainly from running on no sleep for 4 days and both boys having the crud. Max was sick over the weekend but is doing a lot better with just a little bit of congestion.
Max was never sick as an infant. He was 15 months old before he was ever on an antibiotic and that was for an ear infection. Even though it is baby number two, I am experiencing something new having a sick infant. It is just pitiful to hear that little raspy baby voice and for him to cry and not be able to do anything about it. Please, pray that he gets well soon and these medicines will actually work and make him well!

1 comment:

Alicia said...

Awwww! Poor baby! I have a friend who is terrified of the croup, and her boys just got it. I have another friend whose boys get it all the time, and she's very laid back about it. She knows the ropes now. I'll be praying for y'all, and I hope you all get some good rest and health soon. I'm sure you're all wiped out.